No shop week and meal planning

Last weekend we didn't go grocery shopping.  I implemented a no shop week on the spur of the moment - no pre-planning, no notification so we could stock up!  My dear hubby is quite used to my impulsive nature by now.  He calls it my "shoot from the hip attitude."  This was mainly brought about because I got stuck in to cleaning the sliding glass doors on Saturday which turned into a major living room clean, and I didn't want to get cleaned up to go into town and shop for groceries.
I did a quick inventory of the veggies and fruit and fresh stuff and knew that the freezer was well stocked.  I always have a loose menu plan for the week in mind and thought I would be able to wing it.
On Saturday we had a nice little barbeque in the back yard.  Home made boerewors (South African sausage) baked potatoes and a salad. Sunday, hubby was busy doing a bit of reduce, re-cyle and re-use which I will tell you about in another post. Luckily I was inside with the aircon on, sewing for my new little grand daughter


Asparagus and smoked salmon frittata was a good meal to have when we were both busy with other things, and I had a few stalks of asparagus that needed picking..  On Monday I made a meatloaf, a nice Italian style free form one, chocka block full of veggies, grated zuchini, carrot, onion and held together with a couple of eggs and some oats.  Served with roasted veggies, super healthy and super tasty.  I had salad ingredients to use up, so Tuesday the meatloaf was served with a salad.  My yummy shasushka that I made on Sunday morning provided a pre-cooked breakfast for the next three days.

 Frozen soups worked for lunches (ham and pea from the Christmas ham bone).  The rest of the meatloaf was used up with salads for lunches.  My hubby makes an excellent meat and potato bake so it was his turn to cook on Wednesday, and since the veggie drawer was getting rather empty I used up the last of the carrots, with some frozen peas and a mix of green beans and spinach out of the garden.  There is enough of that left over and it will be padded out with frozen veggies for dinner tonight as the veggie drawer is now empty.
I was planning on waiting until Friday to shop but have now heard that the birthday party we were planning for Saturday will have to be held on Friday. I will have to stop by on my way home and get some ingredients to bake the carrot cake, and veggies to go with the steak and boerewors that are already in the freezer. That shortens my no shop week by one day, but I think we did ok, and the bank balance is a bit puffier.
Is anyone else sharing their weekly menus?  I know I haven't been consistent up to now, but think I might do this from now on.
A no shop week once a month is now going to be implemented too.  Does anyone else do this?




Comments

  1. A great way to utilize all the leftovers and stuff in the fridge that sometimes gets forgotten!
    Well done Gill! I must confess even though I often think I won't go shopping at all a specific week there's always something missing and there I go...I just need to get more organized!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sami,
      It was easy at the beginning of the week, and then towards the end I was really having to be a inventive. Now to make sure that I don't buy more than my regular shop for next week.

      Delete
  2. What a great idea. Over the past few weeks John has taken over the cooking and shopping (which I appreciate) but he shops daily and it costs so much more. You've given me an aim for when I get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Having a menu plan and shopping list (and sticking to it) has really helped with that. I try all sorts of inventive ways to avoid going back to the shops all week because I find it difficult not to look around and find more things I "need".

      Delete
  3. Lots of delicious meals there! I think it would be great to aim for a non-shop week but at the moment I'm just trying to be consistent with menu planning. (I'm getting better at doing it every week;) I find that I am spending less because i take into account what's already in the freezer and base meals around that. Meg:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg,
      That is so important, and I have been menu planning for about a year now. As you say checking what ingredients I have on hand already is a huge bonus. I think it is also important to pick up bargains when I see them, especially in the meat department.

      Delete
  4. So neat that you're going to do the no shopping week once a month. Not only will is save money, but look at the food that normally sits in the fridge and spoils getting used! Excellent idea for sure. I love the sound of your meatloaf. I've never thought of putting veggies in, but want to now. Next one I make will have the veggies. Love your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Linda - I think you will be surprised at how many vegetables can be hidden in meatloaf. Love it!

      Delete
  5. We have been doing a lot of no shopping between visitors to use up the leftovers. Some frozen pea and ham soup in our freezer too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joan,
      sounds like we are both on the same track. :) Pea and Ham soup is my January treat.

      Delete

Post a Comment

I love interacting with all my readers, thank you for your comments. Have a great day!

Popular posts from this blog

Up-cycling fabrics

Slow stitching and creative mending

Walking the Camino